Perhaps we could all use a little review of five items that I believe are particularly important these days. If this gets a little preachy, I apologize unreservedly. Indulge me, please.
1. Honestly assess the business environment. Seek to see things the way they are, not the way they are painted by the media or pundits.
2. Stop worrying about things you cannot control.
3. Focus on what we can control.
4. Look for opportunities. In Mandarin, the literal translation of the word crisis is “danger/opportunity.”
5. Practice pragmatic optimism. What I mean by pragmatic optimism (and this is not from Webster’s) is this:
Pragmatic Optimism: Maintaining a positive state of mind and acknowledging that the world offers an amazing amount of opportunities, while embracing the relevant realities of your business situation.